Saturday, October 19, 2013

Financially Done For

This week, I learned that my Financial Aid for this semester will likely not be available funds until my semester is essentially over. This isn't my fault; it's the fault of my financial aid office being terrible and inefficient and frankly, rude. But, there's nothing I can do to speed up the process, so I may as well deal with it. However, this has some major impacts on my life.

At this point, because of the financial aid issues, I've been living off my credit card. It's got about $100 dollars left, which likely won't be able to get me through two months. Food can be expensive sometimes, plus I do need to have fun, and that usually is defined as a movie out or going to a restaurant with my roommates. There's also times that I'm on campus and starving, and I don't have the time or energy to trek home for a snack. Vacations also cost a fair amount, because a trip on the Ride Board to J's house usually costs $20-$40 round trip (most worthwhile money ever spent). On top of it, there's my phone bill and my Spotify bill, medication, and monthly banking fees. That really adds up.

Luckily, my mom says she is financially in a position to help me, and while I really hate taking handouts, or pulling people down monetarily, I may have to take her help. I'd probably only ask for enough money to pay off my credit card, which really isn't that much. I can pay her back fairly easily. But I can't turn to her to answer all of my problems.

I guess, it's time I truly learned how to be financially conservative. I mean, I've lived in poverty for my entire life, but it's harder when you're the one wielding the credit card to be so frugal. I need to learn to focus on the fact that I have bills and a stomach that isn't getting fed if I don't do it, and a future to prepare for. So here's to a new phase: frugal living out of necessity and not personal desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment